My Shared Auto

Aerial view of a Shared Auto

I travel everyday to work in a shared auto. The concept of a shared auto is something like a extremely scaled down version of a bus. The share auto guys go from one point to another along a popular path. They have regular pickup/drop off points enroute.
I start of near Ameerpet where the Share auto starts. Since it is the starting point, the autos are usually empty. The auto drivers wait till the auto is 75% filled i.e about 6 customers before leaving the place. So usually when I get into my auto I am made to wait a good 15mins before it actually leaves. He keeps moving the auto in random directions around a particular point(usually a bus stop) making a mess of the traffic and irritating the hell out of the bus driver.
Now this is a normal auto seen in most cities. But how people sit inside is a little different. In the rear- where normally 3 medium sized men can squeeze in- about 4 people are made to sit. Usually plump ladies with huge bags of vegetables or wailing kids on their laps. Sitting here is a luxury. The priority order goes like this - First ladies, then old men, then huge men, then middle aged men. So the smaller built young men like are usually made to sit in front next to the auto driver.Now in front there is a single seat with extended flaps on either side. The auto driver sits at the front edge of his seat. 2 men sit on either side of the driver. 2 more men are made to sit bside them. Usually the unlucky ones like me get this priveleged Corner. The area covered by my posterior will probably be about 5sq cm. I have to hold onto my bag in one hand and to my life in another. It is advisable to turn your neck at an uncomfortably weird angle to avoid the smelly armpit of the person just next to you.
This ride coupled with really horrible dichik dichik Telugu music costs me just Rs 15 :)